Posted on thirty first July 2023 by Harry
Marcelo Claure is the Founder & CEO of Claure Group, a multi-billion-dollar international funding agency. He’s the Government Chairman and Managing Associate of Bicycle Capital, a $500M Latin America-focused development fairness fund, and was appointed Chairman in Latin America of SHEIN, the worldwide #1 on-demand vogue firm on the planet. Claure was additionally the CEO of SoftBank Group Worldwide the place he launched SoftBank’s $8B Latin America Funds, and had direct oversight for SoftBank’s working corporations. As an entrepreneur, Marcelo constructed Brightstar from a small native distributor to the world’s largest international wi-fi distribution and companies firm. As well as, Claure led the turnaround of US wi-fi telecommunications firm Dash and helped orchestrate its US$195 billion merger with T-Cellular.
Shu Nyatta is the founding father of Bicycle Capital. Earlier than Bicycle, Shu was most not too long ago a Managing Associate at SoftBank Group Worldwide, the place he launched and managed two separate funds – the SoftBank Latin America Fund and the Alternative Fund for early-stage investments in US-based founders-of-color. Within the first a part of his SoftBank profession, Shu was a founding Associate of SoftBank’s Imaginative and prescient Fund. A number of corporations have retained him on their boards as an impartial board member following his departure from SoftBank, together with Lemonade (NYSE: LMND), Kavak and Tribal Credit score. Shu additionally serves on the board of Endeavor World – the main international neighborhood of, by and for high-impact entrepreneurs.
In At this time’s Episode That includes Bicycle Capital We Focus on:
1. From Deploying $10BN at Softbank to Founding Bicycle Capital:
- What was the founding second for Marcelo and Shu within the founding of Bicycle?
- What does Shu imagine is Marcelo’s superpower? How has working with Marcelo modified the best way he thinks?
- Why does Marcelo imagine that he’s not a very good investor? How does Shu make him higher, particularly?
2. Classes from Investing $10BN at Softbank:
- What are 1-2 of the most important classes from investing $10BN over the previous couple of years at Softbank?
- How did lacking OpenAI and Nubank affect how Shu and Marcelo suppose and make investments right this moment?
- Why was shedding $150M on Softbank’s FTX funding, the most important lesson of Marcelo’s profession?
- What are Marcelo and Shu doing in another way at Bicycle, having seen the way it went at Softbank?
3. The Enterprise World is Altering:
- Why do Marcelo and Shu imagine the world of enterprise is altering? How is it altering most?
- Why are founders going on to LPs to boost rounds right this moment, over going to VCs?
- Do Marcelo and Shu imagine that many VCs present worth?
- Who will win within the subsequent 10 years of enterprise? Who will lose?
- Why do Marcelo and Shu imagine you shouldn’t spend money on founders that don’t take your recommendation?
- Do Marcelo and Shu agree with the assertion that “the perfect founders don’t want your assist”?
4. LATAM is Below Development: It’s Time to Construct:
- What are the 2 causes that the subsequent decade would be the finest ever for LATAM?
- What are the most important misconceptions in regards to the LATAM tech market?
- How do Marcelo and Shu reply the query of the shortage of liquidity out there with few M&A offers happening and only a few LATAM corporations itemizing on the NASDAQ?
- How do Marcelo and Shu consider the withdrawal of overseas capital from LATAM tech markets? Is it good or unhealthy? Have a load of US funds misplaced cash on early-stage LATAM offers?